Friday, June 22, 2018

Bliss


1753bliss/
June 22, 2018-06-22

Bliss
By
Harley L. Sachs

When I taught at Michigan Technological University by the time the end of term came I was tired and ready for vacation. I didn’t care for attending Commencement with the tedious reading of the names of all the graduates, but on one occasion when I did go, something remarkable happened.
They were giving out the usual honorary degrees. One recipient was not scheduled to speak, but when asked if he had something to say, did. His story was an inspiration.
He had been an English foreign student, member of the fraternity down in Chassell. One of his fraternity brothers said when they graduated he was going back to Mexico to make a revolution. Would our speaker want to come along?
In those days graduates from wealthy families would make the Grand Tour, a chance for young men to see the world and sow some wild oats before returning to the firm or the estate and serious life. Our speaker wrote his father and asked if, instead of doing the Grand Tour, could he use the money to go to Mexico and make a revolution. Why not?
It’s now history. He and his two partners did make a revolution and took over Mexico. They were partners in a ranch, but when World War I intervened. he had to go back to England.
When the war ended and he returned to Mexico he discovered that his partners had been faithful. His third of their joint venture had made him rich.
He went on to success in business and philanthropy. It had all begun in Chassell, Michigan.
He had three bits of advice for our graduates: 1) Don’t worry about the money; it will come. 2) make other people happy, for their happiness comes back to you many times over. 3) follow your bliss.
Your bliss is what you really most want to do in life. It is what makes you happy and fulfilled.
For me, my bliss is to tell stories whether to a live audience or written down and published. Though I did bits and pieces of that while earning a living, I did not get to fulfill that bliss until I took early retirement. Since then I have published at least one book a year and I now read/perform my stories for live audiences.
Everyone’s bliss in what gives them joy, whether music, gardening, writing, or whatever. You must decide what your bliss is. Follow it. It is the key to your fulfillment and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment